6/23/12

Taiwan--Dream Come True

Over the last 10 months, I have fallen in love with this country. The people are admirable in their everyday activities through the smallest acts of kindness to work ethic and respect. I truly admire the Taiwanese and plan to incorporate some of their characteristics into my own life. I already have done so, but I'm working on some of the others.

The land is so peaceful and serene. Taiwan seems to gracefully 'jump out at you.' It's beauty daunts you, but doesn't hit you in a way like Mt. Everest would. You can look at it and be at peace instead of having the "WOW!!" factor. Of course, Taiwan is very beautiful, and some of it is of the "WOW!!" factor, but it's in a gentle sort of way.

The language is immensely difficult to learn. However, I have noticed a pattern in the way they write and speak. If you can catch on, then you are 'into the system.' That's the goal. It took me a long time of listening and speaking for myself, but I eventually caught on, which enabled me to understand a lot more than I thought.

But I have made a ton of wonderful friends, and we've been through a lot together. We've all shared each others hardships and happy times, stressed over things and then laughed at them. Thinking back, I remember every single thing that's happened. Sometimes I wish things hadn't happened, but then other things came about from them. My friends are incredible, and I am glad that I met every single one of them. They are all super special in their own way, and they've helped me understand them, their culture, and to grow. I owe them more than they know; I am so thankful for them.

If I could re-live everything again from day one, I would in a heartbeat.

Being in the last day, I remember the first day I came here. I was nervous and afraid. But that excitement of summer, meeting new people, living someplace new, exhilarates me to the maximum. That feeling will never go away. I cherish those memories. But now I feel like a local, which was the goal, and I feels like I am leaving home.

I don't know what will happen in the next few months, or years. But I hope I will be able to meet with my friends again, because I would be torn if I wasn't able to. They mean so much to me. Taiwan means so much to me. It was a dream of mine to come here, and in September that dream came true. But now the time has come to go, and it tears my heart apart, and it makes the tears come. I don't want it to end. But then, has it?

Our lives are adventures everyday, and everyday something new and wonderful happens. Although we might have 'boring' days, those 'boring' days lead up to something else, or have one little memory that will stay with us forever.

I want to come back. No, I will come back. To re-live those memories and to make even more.
Taiwan, thank you for everything. I can laugh and I can cry over so many things. That's what stays with me, those memories. Thank you.

I will miss Taiwan, no doubt. I will miss my friends, no doubt. I will miss those experiences, no doubt. So here I wave goodbye to a place that I love dearly. But it's not a farewell, but more of a "see you later." And indeed it is that.

Thank you Taiwan. I'll be back, you can count on it.


No comments:

Post a Comment